Picture

Picture

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Tall buildings surrounding a not-so-tall girl...

Last weekend, my older sister and I went to New York City to look at art and wander around. I had never been to the New York without a clear purpose. I've only been to New York for school field trips, checking out the tourist areas with my parents, etc...

I think I've only been to New York six times, including this visit. One of the times I went, I was on a chorus trip. We were dropped off at the theatre we were to sing in, we sang two numbers, and got back on the bus (what a let down!). But, I digress...

It was nice to walk the streets, especially since my sister knew where we were going, and it was nice not to have too many plans (except going to the Brooklyn Museum at 5:00 to meet a friend). I especially liked avoiding the tourist spots, where people walk sluggishly, constantly taking pictures.

I, myself, took a lot of pictures, whenever I saw something intriguing...Except on the subway. There were a lot of interesting-looking people on the subway, but I didn't think they'd appreciate me taking pictures of them...So I didn't.

Here are the pictures I took last weekend, starting in New Haven, and ending somewhere in New York...In no particular order...

My sister's tiny cat, Miggs. Isn't she cute?


The remains of the New Haven Coliseum (just recently knocked down).


The remains (from another angle).




Some damned kid wrote graffiti on this building. What a disgrace!


I like the copper fire escape.





A splash of paint on a New York street, how "avant garde"...



The natives used to call the colonists "the people who lived in squares and rectangles".




My feet...Shortly after I was struck in the head by a rogue pigeon poop. This was the second time in two years that I have been pooped on by a bird. Apparently being pooped on by a bird is good luck. Seriously, I don't understand why.

White is not quite white.




This is one of the "nice" buildings I saw. A lot of the buildings seemed "boxy" with almost no architectural interest. This building not only has architectural interest,but also lots of graffiti, which I love.

I love to see a tree slowly win.




Concrete cobblestone. Neat.



What a beautiful blue sky!

So that's it for my trip to New York...I know, maybe not the most exciting stuff in the world, but I had fun. I had nice drinks, really good eggs benedict, I saw beautiful art for free, saw a friend I hadn't seen in months, and I got crapped on by a pigeon. Who could ask for a better New York experience! Oh, and my sister bought me a hat...

No comments: